Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Community Garden Part 1

Four weeks ago, I decided to sign up for a plot at our new community garden in Morgan Hill. This is a new project which involved using a city owned piece of property to build raised beds to grow our own flowers and vegetables.

With the wonderful help of lots of community donations, we first had to build the frames from the donated wood. This is the pile after we all raided it!



Then fill it with donated vermiculite soil and compost. The mix was very light and very dry.

.

As we only had enough soil to fill the bed half way, I also went to a local horse farm and got some partly composted horse manure.

We mixed it up really well and left it for a full week. Then I added some other soil and was ready to start planting. I'd already bought some baby plants and some seeds but we also had some other plants donated too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin